The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that several types of frozen fruit sold at Walmart, Aldi, Target, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe’s are being recalled over possible bacterial contamination.
The products in question were found to contain Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that poses a risk of serious and sometimes fatal infections to children, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. However, healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as fever, headache, nausea, and diarrhea.
The recall is voluntary and has been linked to pineapples provided by a third-party seller. These pineapples were included in frozen-fruit bags sold by Sunrise Growers Inc., a subsidiary of SunOpta Inc. The affected bags and details of where they were sold can be found below.
List of Products and Stores Affected by the Recall
The following frozen fruit products are impacted by the recall:
- Walmart: Great Value Mixed Fruit Blend (48 oz), Great Value Pomegranate Seeds (8 oz)
- Aldi: Season’s Choice Mixed Berry (16 oz), Season’s Choice Antioxidant Blend (12 oz)
- Target: Market Pantry Berry Medley (16 oz), Market Pantry Frozen Pineapple Chunks (16 oz)
- Whole Foods: Organic Dark Sweet Pitted Cherry (32 oz)
- Trader Joe’s: Frozen Blueberries (12 oz), Frozen Pineapple Chunks (16 oz)
Consumers who bought any of these products are advised not to eat them and to return them to the store for a full refund.
Recall Alert: Listeria Contamination in Frozen Fruits Sold at Major Stores
The FDA has released a recall alert for several frozen fruit products sold at major stores due to possible listeria contamination. The following products and distribution dates are affected:
- Walmart: Great Value Mixed Fruit, Great Value Dark Sweet Cherries and Great Value Mango Chunks sold from Jan. 19, 2023, to June 13, 2023.
- Whole Foods: 365 Organic Tropical Fruit Medley, 365 Organic Pineapple Chunks, 365 Pineapple Chunks, 365 Organic Whole Strawberries, 365 Organic Slice Strawberries and Bananas, and 365 Organic Blackberries from Nov. 1, 2022, to June 21, 2023.
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s Organic Tropical Fruit Blend from March 28, 2023, to April 11, 2023.
- Target: Good & Gather Organic Cherries and Berries Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Dark Sweet Whole Pitted Cherries, Good & Gather Mango Strawberry Blend, Good & Gather Mixed Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Mango Chunks, Good & Gather Blueberries, and Good & Gather Triple Berry Blend from Oct. 14, 2022, to May 22, 2023.
- Aldi: Season’s Choice Tropical Blend from Oct. 11, 2022. to May 22, 2023.
- AWG (Associated Wholesale Grocers): Best Choice Pitted Red Tart Cherries Unsweetened from April 5, 2023, to May 4, 2023.
If you are concerned about having ingested listeria due to consuming these products within the distribution dates listed above, it is recommended that you contact your doctor immediately. As of Wednesday, no illnesses associated with the recall have been reported.
For more information on recall codes, distribution dates and pictures of the products, visit the FDA’s recall alert page.
FDA Recalls Contaminated Fruit Packages
The FDA has issued a warning about the potential contamination of several fruit packages due to a Hepatitis A virus outbreak. Even though some of the recalled packages are not pineapple, such as cherries or mango chunks, they are still listed as potentially contaminated and should be avoided.
This is not the first time the FDA has issued recalls on fruit products due to contamination concerns. Earlier this year, the FDA recalled large batches of frozen strawberries sold at Walmart, Costco, and HEB during the investigation of a similar Hepatitis A virus outbreak.
To ensure your safety and the safety of others, please check the FDA’s website for updated information on potentially contaminated fruit products.